Friday, May 19, 2006

What do you mean there's no coffee?

Those of you who know me know that I am a one-cup a day girl. I don't ask for much, I just want my one cup of caffeine in the morning. I have to watch my intake of caffeine because I have IBS and caffeine has a major negative effect on my gut. So, it's one cup and I'm happy, just enough to take the edge off the morning and deal with the beginning of the day. Because, let's face it, I'm no morning person. Kids who get up at dawn have not changed that for me.

And then I go to make my one cup on the way out the door yesterday morning (we have that awesome one-cup Keurig brewer that does coffee and tea or just hot water and it makes my life so much easier because I can make one cup without fooling around with a pot and grounds and all that other crap) and my coffee maker is broken. There's a little needle that pokes a hole in the bottom of the k-cup (Which holds the coffee and acts like a filter) and the damn thing isn't punching holes in the bottom of the k-cup, so nowhere for the water to go through and make coffee.

I know, it's just coffee, and truthfully, I think it's more of a mental addiction than an actual physical one, but I want my coffee and I want it now. Mind you, it's not like I don't own other coffee makers. In fact, at one point, my husband and I were really hardcore, grind the beans at home, searching for the perfect bean for the perfect cup kind of people. We own, and this is no exaggeration, at least 7 coffee makers. We have at least three four-cuppers. We have the Barista Utopia from Starbucks that had more problems than actual cups of drinkable coffee; it should have come with an actual Barista for goodness sake. There's a cuisinart that was crazy expensive and worked but was a pain to clean. And then we have all the other crap ones in 12 and 10 cups that we got at miscellaneous linens n things type stores.

I could obviously make a cup of coffee. I have the equipment. I even have some ground coffee in the freezer that my mom drinks when she is here. But, did I make coffee? No. Did I get out of the car in the pouring rain to go into Starbucks? Well, I didn't actually do that either (even I have my limits for coffee). But, I did go through the Drive Thru at Dunkin. And it was a good Latte, let me tell ya.

The new part is winging its way to my house right now. For the sake of my readers and the safety of my children and husband, let's hope it gets here soon.

2 comments:

Holly in CT said...

Oh my, life without coffee easily made would be hell on earth! I hope your part arrives quickly. caffine withdrawal is a bitch (ask me why I know).

Eleni said...

Ahhhhh, thanks to the adorable UPS man, my coffee part just arrived and though I don't usually drink coffee this late in the afternoon, I am making an exception!