Thursday, June 22, 2006

The fish was THIS big

Little known fact about me. I love to go fishing. I think there are actually a lot of similarities between fishing and knitting. It's a solitary pursuit. You must be patient. It takes some skill. And sometimes it can be so god dam$$d frustrating that you want to pull out a shotgun (even though you don't believe in firearms) and fire directly into the lake to get that carp (the equivalent of throwing your knitting needles across the room sorta kinda).

While at Lake Anna the past two days, I fished my heart out with the girls. I even caught my own bait fish (much to Sugar Bear's enormous chagrin--doesn't bother her that pigs get slaughtered for bacon, but god forbid I use baby trout to catch other fish)with a net and some bread. Had my nightcrawlers and lures and everything, it was a beautiful thing I tell ya. Caught three catfish. Pictures to definitely follow on the biggest one of those (about eight pounds). Caught a blue-gill. Caught a bunch of silvery fish whose name I am not sure of. Caught two small-mouthed bass. All in all a good day.

But, it was the fish who got away FOUR times that was the bane of my existence as a self-respecting fisherwoman. Carpy.

Day one at the lake he got a lure and a rather large hook. Day two we saw him swimming around with said hook in his mouth, very Goth. So, I began again to try for him. Two separate times, the swivel opened up and he got two of my hooks. But it was the last time that really piss## me off. He took the hook, the bait, and almost me. I wish I could demonstrate online the way in which I had to try to get this fool fish out of the water. I kid you not that if the catfish I caught was eight pounds, this sucker must be ten because the fight he put up was enormous. The closest analogy I can think of is the movie Grumpier Old Men when they try to get Catfish Hunter at the end. This fish is entering into mythic proportions for me. And he will be mine . We're headed back the beginning of August and he is going to be mine. I'm buying a new pole and I am not messing around.

Needless to say, no knitting has been accomplished this week. Perhaps today on the drive home. Not while I am driving of course :)

No comments: